Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CPU frequency scaling unsupported

Beans
    Hidden!

CPU frequency scaling unsupported

I recently bought a replacement motherboard for my venerable core 2 duo. Now when I over or underclock my cpu, I can no longer scale the frequency in ubuntu.

Its rather odd, once I set the FSB speed to manual in the bios, even at stock speed or below, I no longer have any working CPU governors in ubuntu. Its stuck at maximum speed. CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor gives me the above error and shows nothing. It still clocks up and down dynamically in windows. When I set the BIOS to auto, it works as expected.

The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 running the latest bios now. Running 10.10, but the same issue is observed in 10.04 and 9.10

Its clearly related to the BIOS and this is not a very big issue (though I dont like giving up a 50% stable overclock), but if anyone has any ideas how to make it work, it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by P4man; October 9th, 2010 at 09:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: CPU frequency scaling unsupported

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    I recently bought a replacement motherboard for my venerable core 2 duo. Now when I over or underclock my cpu, I can no longer scale the frequency in ubuntu.
    Did you you a full reinstall of all your Ubuntu systems of just plug them into the new hardware?
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

psusi is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What cpu is this? And what does cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info say, both with and without the overclock?

Beans
    Hidden!

Its a fresh install. The CPU is a core2duo E6400.

This is overclocked:

Code:
    ~$ cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    processor id:            0
    acpi id:                 0
    bus mastering control:   no
    power management:        no
    throttling control:      yes
    limit interface:         yes
    Ill add stock speed in a minute. Looks you are on to something.
    edit. or maybe not. This is at stock speed with cpu scaling working:

Code:
    $ cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
    processor id:            0
    acpi id:                 0
    bus mastering control:   no
    power management:        no
    throttling control:      yes
    limit interface:         yes
    Last edited by P4man; October 10th, 2010 at 07:52 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Another pointer perhaps.
    At stock speed, I see this:

Code:
    $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors 
    conservative ondemand userspace powersave performance 

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies 
    2133000 1600000
    Just like youd expect.

When I set FSB control to manual in the bios, I dont even have a /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq folder:

Code:
    ~$ ls  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
    cache  crash_notes  node0  thermal_throttle  topology

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would ask 1 thing

Do you see a performance difference(I mean is it better when its overclocked on *linux - compared to the stock settings)?

If on overclocked the performance is vastly horrible.. then i would understand your pain, but if the performance is better.. simply ignore the issue your are currently hassling about.
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans
    Hidden!

In linux, no I dont run many things that benefit from 3+ GHz cpu speeds. But I dual boot in to windows for some games, and there the difference is day and night (for my fav game from 2.1 to 3.2 GHz is the difference between unplayable and rather fluid).

So its a bit cumbersome to go in to the bios each time to change the FSB and ram speeds.. or have my cpu run unnecessarily hot in linux.

Like I said in my first post, its not a major issue, but if it can be solved somehow it would be great.

Beans
    Distro

In linux, no I dont run many things that benefit from 3+ GHz cpu speeds. But I dual boot in to windows for some games, and there the difference is day and night (for my fav game from 2.1 to 3.2 GHz is the difference between unplayable and rather fluid).

So its a bit cumbersome to go in to the bios each time to change the FSB and ram speeds.. or have my cpu run unnecessarily hot in linux.

Like I said in my first post, its not a major issue, but if it can be solved somehow it would be great.
    Do you have in your bios a feature like: cool n quiet <-- that's on AMD.... but is there a feature like that on Intel ? that way when you are just using the computer regularly it will run at a lower the CPU frequency & voltage - but when using an intensive app it will push to your overclock speed

In other words on linux it will be running very cold unless you use an app that uses your resources

This is just an idea so that you don't have to keep switching between overclocks on your Bios - worrying about running hot when not in full use
    Last edited by sendblink23; October 10th, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Desktop Build mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 | cpu: Phenom ii x4 965BE C3 @ 4.02Ghz | gfx: Sapphire + XFX 5770 CrossfireX + EVGA 9800GTX+
    ram: 8gb DDR3-1333Mhz | hd: 1TB (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) + 500gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.7) + 400gb (Kubuntu 11.04 x64)

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sendblink23 View Post
    Do you have in your bios a feature like: cool n quiet <-- that's on AMD.... but is there a feature like that on Intel ? that way when you are just using the computer regularly it will run at a lower the CPU frequency & voltage - but when using an intensive app it will push to your overclock speed

In other words on linux it will be running very cold unless you use an app that uses your resources
    Its called EIST on intel, and that dynamic clock scaling is precisely whats not working when overclocked and precisely what I want to fix.

Beans
    Distro

Its called EIST on intel, and that dynamic clock scaling is precisely whats not working when overclocked and precisely what I want to fix.
    And how do you know its not working on Linux?

Do you monitor your temps, to see if it goes low when on idle.. then on using software if it goes much higher? *Compare them on Windows & Linux

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast