Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: printer sharing

Beans

printer sharing

I want to use a Ubuntu PC as a file server/print server on my local network.

I successfully attached an HP printer to my new Ubuntu PC. It is connected to my local network and I can access the file server on Ubuntu via my Vista PC, but I can't connect to the Ubuntu printer. The printer is shared and I set "publish shared printers...". I see the printer in Vista, but I get the following error when I try to connect: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

What am I missing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: printer sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Utahreddirt View Post
    I want to use a Ubuntu PC as a file server/print server on my local network.

I successfully attached an HP printer to my new Ubuntu PC. It is connected to my local network and I can access the file server on Ubuntu via my Vista PC, but I can't connect to the Ubuntu printer. The printer is shared and I set "publish shared printers...". I see the printer in Vista, but I get the following error when I try to connect: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000000d)"

What am I missing?
    Have you tried running CUPS? It can be located at http://localhost:631/

Beans

I ran CUPS and added the USB attached printer. How do I access it from my Vista PC? I tried "adding new printer/network" - but, it didn't show up.
    Thanks,
    Utahreddirt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dunno bout vista but if you go to 'my network places' and view workgroup computers then acess the machine with the shared printer, find it, right click on it and click connect that adds a shared printer over a network.

Infact i'm gonna try this cups thing because I want to do this too

Beans

I can see the printer from the Vista PC. But, when I try to connect, I get an error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Utahreddirt

i get the exact same problem as you and i see no answer.
    printing and sharing worked fine in jaunty... not now with karmic.

i have a folder shared on the karmic pc,
    i can see that folder on the windows pc.
    then, i can see the printer i have shared also, but i get that (error 0x0000000d) like you posted.

i don't get why karmic has made it so hard to share a printer so winders pruters can print to it.

anyone able to help?
    ps. that cups info link is not helpful for our problem...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have set up my printer, an Epson connected by USB to my laptopusing Karmic to permit printing from another wireless connected laptop using Windows XP.

I followed NetworkPrintingFromWinXP from the Ubuntu documentation. I would imagine that although this was written for XP that it will work with Vista. Perhaps if you give this a try it will work

You could also have a look at Top things to do after installing Ubuntu Linux 9.10 Karmic Koala at http://www.reddit.com/tb/9z2xk/ which could also assist

All the best of luck
    Last edited by Scunnered; November 6th, 2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: addind additional link
    If you are here to drink to forget please pay in advance.

Intel Dual Core T2390 1.86Ghz; Intel GMA x 3100 graphics, Atheros AR242x802.11 a/b/g. 1GB RAM.

Beans

After upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic, I found that I had to repeat the "Ubuntu Print Server" instructions in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ne...tingWithUbuntu before I could print to it from WinXP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

A possible way to share printers is described here:

http://http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1248007

Beans

Hi there-- Has anybody found a solution for this yet, or at least a cause? I did a do-release-upgrade on my home server and it broke (just...) my printer share. The rest of the SMB stuff is working fine, but I get that same 0x0000000d error when I attempt to print, or to re-add the printer.

I (too) have deleted it from cups and samba using the web-interface, re-added it... Still the same error.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast