Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

Hi osarusan,

It looks like there's no way to get it to work the way you were trying -- Serial is something that has to be manually entered, so it won't be able to detect the string, and any strings entered in the same device will overwrite the previous strings in that device.
    That seems right and that's basically what I was trying to say.

You're probably right, but I seem to be leaning the other way. If we're going to crawl out on the device tree branch to split the styli they have to be defined as wacom devices somehow, don't they? I wonder if what we need is to append them as sub-devices like pad or eraser to the "main" stylus. But I doubt hal-setup-wacom is setup to do that.

So maybe duplicate stylus and eraser sections paired (like the xorg.conf) and we try to use something in the parent to segregate them. Hmmm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi osarusan,

This one feels like it's more in the ballpark to me. See what you think.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's close, but still not quite there. Splitting them into stylus0 and stylus1 only works if we can name them stylus0 and stylus1, but we can't do that without the product info.tag. I tried using the x11_identifier but it seems to have no effect.

Unless -- did you mean I should add stylus0 and stylus1 back into the xorg.conf and try it from there?

As for going up the device tree, I can't honestly say I know what I'm talking about here, but there are still two other wacom devices listed in lshal, "DTZ-2100," the base Wacom device, and "USB HID Interface," which is a child of DTZ-2100. Perhaps one of those holds the key?

For the time, it works fine enough with one stylus set up, so it's nothing I'm in a rush to accomplish. It would be cool, but it looks like it might be impossible to do... At least until HAL can detect the two styluses by their serial numbers.

Thanks very much. I've got a wacom ID 056a:0015 Wacom Co., Ltd and this tutorial worked perfectly.

Beans

Post Re: HOWTO: Wacom in 8.04 Hardy

I stumbled upon this tutorial just now and I can't wait to try it.

I believe that the best use for a tablet is Photoshop, which is not for Linux.

I tried using VirtualBox, but it was still not usable due to some lag when moving layers around (3D is still experimental), but I got a reply by jefro on this thread:

Adobe CS4 on Ubuntu 8.10 or any Gnome capable Linux

which gave me a very interesting thing to try: install CS4 on VBox, then copy the appropriate directories to your wine installation.
    As last step import some registry keys and you should be ready to go.

See the detailed instructions here

Beans

I don't see why limiting this to Gnome-based linux installation.
    It should work fine on KDE and other DE's too.

Beans

@Sciamano

Yes, I definitely agree with you. In fact I'm using KDE
    I just wanted to keep the original title to give the credits.

But you are right, I should have said that it was not limited to Gnome, I'm sorry for being misleading and thanks for making me notice that!

Beans

@thecec: I know it was the title of the thread you were referring to. BTW, I was not criticizing you, but just pointing out that it was somewhat a silly title!

Beans

@Sciamano
    yes it was a silly title

Beans

Hi all,

first, excuse my english spoken, i'm a french student.
    I'm on ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron, I spent several hours trying to install my bamboo pen CTL-460.
    I finally found a solution for me. I don't know if this message could help anyone, but here is the solution i found :

- install the linux header 2.6.24-27 (i really don't know why, but it don't work with any previous version).
    - get the lastest version of the driver : linuxwacom-0.8.7-1.tar.bz2 instead of linuxwacom-0.8.0-3.tar.bz2.

- Follow exactly the first post of this topic , by replacing the folder name linuxwacom-0.8.0-3 by linuxwacom-0.8.7-1 .

It works !

have fun

god is not real unless it is explicitly declared

Page 52 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 ... LastLast