Thread: cant create a new empty VM beacuse QEMU failed to run feature checks

Beans

cant create a new empty VM beacuse QEMU failed to run feature checks

I would like to create a new empty VM using windows image

Code:
    lxc init win11 --vm --empty
    But that fails with the information that

Creating win11
    Error: Failed creating instance record: Instance type "virtual-machine" is not supported on this server: QEMU failed to run feature checks
    After a while i got this message when I tried to initialize lxd again

ERROR [2024-02-15T16:45:15+01:00] Failed to start the daemon err="LXD is already running"
    ERROR [2024-02-15T16:45:15+01:00] Unable to run feature checks during QEMU initialization: Unable to locate the file for firmware "OVMF_CODE.4MB.fd"
    WARNING[2024-02-15T16:45:15+01:00] Instance type not operational driver=qemu err="QEMU failed to run feature checks" type=virtual-machine
    Error: LXD is already running
    So I assume that the problem is the missing "OVMF_CODE.4MB.fd" file in /usr/share/OVMF/.

Installing
    Code:
    sudo apt install ovmf
    wont do the job, so where can I get the file from.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: cant create a new empty VM beacuse QEMU failed to run feature checks

Just to clarify, you want to use LXD to manage full virtualized machines, not Linux containers. I've never used or even tried to use LXD for that purpose. I'd read that it was possible, but we're so used to using libvirt for VM management the last 15 yrs that using LXD isn't something we ever considered.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/lxd-virtual-...es-an-overview has this:
    Running Windows

If you would like to run a Windows VM, you would first need to repackage the Windows ISO file, using distrobuilder, before proceeding to install it into an LXD virtual machine.

The process is then relatively simple, and you can follow the steps in this video.
    Sorry, I don't have any real knowledge to pass on. Did you use distrobuilder?

Beans

Re: cant create a new empty VM beacuse QEMU failed to run feature checks

Yes, I was following this tutorial https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/how-to-...-windows-image