Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NetInst from Ubuntu? Or from Debian?

Beans

Re: NetInst from Ubuntu? Or from Debian?

Debian is great, but stable packages can be in quite obsolete versions.
    I will try Ubuntu with Debian stable and testing repositories (only for those, which are in Ubuntu exclusively by Snap).
    By pinning I will prefer stable before testing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ruwolf View Post
    Mostly pure Ubuntu, only snap packages from Debian (from regular deb repositories).
    Seems like an ordinary Ubuntu system.

If you can find "snap packages from Debian," they should run just fine on Ubuntu. Broad cross-platform and cross-version compatibility is a key feature of snap packages.

Quote Originally Posted by ruwolf View Post
    I will try Ubuntu with Debian stable and testing repositories (only for those, which are in Ubuntu exclusively by Snap).
    Well, that seems less wise. Mixing Ubuntu and Debian apt sources and deb packages creates a Frankensystem, the #1 practice to avoid on Don't Break Debian.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; November 8th, 2023 at 04:56 AM.

Beans

Unless there are features in newer software releases that you need, or security holes have been fixed, I see little reason to stay abreast of the latest-and-greatest versions of most software.

On Ubuntu, I always rely on releases with long-term support like 22.04. By your standards, that software is probably very dated. Since it does what I need, I don't care.

Once again, there are no snap packages for Debian.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    Well, that seems less wise. Mixing Ubuntu and Debian apt sources and deb packages creates a Frankensystem, the #1 practice to avoid on Don't Break Debian.
    Thank you for your warning, I know it.
    I have used mixes like Debian stable + testing or PureOS + Debian without serious issues. I have ported Debian to Ubuntu without reistall or vice versa. too.
    (In "snap packages from Debian," I have meant packages, which are in Ubuntu only in snap package, I will install ordinary deb from Debian.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12