Thread: GIMP: Wacom Bamboo Pen acting flaky

Beans

Unhappy GIMP: Wacom Bamboo Pen acting flaky

I'd find it hard to explain this without a picture, so:

In this picture, I only drew inside of the red circle. All other offshooting lines are the issue I'm having.

I have my Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet working with pressure sensitivity in gimp, but unfortunately something very odd seems to be happening. The cursor seems to shoot off of the screen, rendering the tablet unusable.

Hardware related, maybe? I cannot see the mouse on screen actually moving, only the lines in gimp. The mouse appears to stay in the original position, which leads me to believe the problem is confined to gimp. Also, it seems a bit strange that the lines only shoot off at three different angles: 45 degrees, 180 degrees, and 90 degrees.
    Last edited by Nickel1010; October 18th, 2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added angle details

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GIMP: Wacom Bamboo Pen acting flaky

Hi Nickel1010,

This is a known problem with Oneiric (I assume you are in Oneiric). We started a thread on the Oneiric forum, unfortunately it was too close to release. See this Launchpad bug report: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...mp/+bug/863154 and the Gimp bug report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=661872

Hopefully with Alexia Death's contribution a fix is on the way. As soon as someone from Ubuntu notices the bug report anyway. So feel free to join the Lauchpad bug report or at least mark that it affects you.

Beans

Yes, I'm using Oneiric, silly me for not stating that.

Good to know it's not just me experiencing this, I'll add myself to the bug report.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, hopefully everyone with the bug will sign up. It hasn't gotten noticed the the bug team yet, so we'll likely need to get more people on there before anything gets done about it.

Beans

This is exactly what I'm seeing in gimp on my Ubuntu (11.11) box. Anyone know if there is a fix yet?

Beans
    Distro

Hi ulrichvonbeck,

Yes. Install Aapo Rantalainen's PPA with Alexia Death's disable Gimp history buffer patch applied to Gimp: https://launchpad.net/~aapo-rantalai...26-noghostline

Beans
    Distro

You can get GIMP 2.7.4 with the Wacom fix by installing the ppa withe the following CLI.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:matthaeus123/mrw-gimp-svn
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gimp

It works very well for me. It's probably the last development release before GIMP 2.8 comes out.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog