Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop INCOMPATIBILITY List.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

This is a direct incompatibility but also a fix.

Ubuntu: 10.04 onwards
    Laptop: Samsung X30
    Issue: Failed Graphics (nVidia GeForce go 5200FX)

This is an issue with the new nVidia drivers supplied with all new versions of Ubuntu. The fix is to download and install 9.10, download the proprietary drivers the normal way then work your up through the distribution updates, when it asks to remove unused packages select no otherwise it would remove the old nVidia and start using the new nuovo driver.

This happens on all older nvidia laptops which are not compatible with the new drivers, as long as you don't do a clean install it will all be ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation ASUS u43-jc

This notebook uses the nvidia optimus technology which switches between an intel mhd4500 and an nvidia 310m graphics card based on load. Running under ubuntu, the 310m will be unavailable and the laptop will not be able to sleep. Otherwise, everything else works flawlessly.

I have a feeling that any of the optimus based laptops won't be fully supported for awhile. The way this works is that the nvidia card outputs to a special buffer in the intel card instead of the display. Currently, the nvidia driver can't open the buffer in ubuntu's intel driver to make the magic happen.

Perhaps there will be drivers in the future, but as of Jan 2011, there is no support or news of any from nvidia.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

compaq cq56-115dx

For the most part everything worked out of the box. including wifi.
    built-in WEBCAM does NOT work .. or even recognized when i "lsusb" or "lspci"
    Also when i installed the restricted graphics driver through "Additional Drivers"
    it completely messed up my monitor .. so i uninstalled it and its back to normal.

i downloaded the driver from ATI's website and installed it.. and that was even worse
    the log in in distorted and after pressing the "log in" all you get is the wallpaper.
    so had to reinstall OS.

other than those two issues everything else works perfect.

oh yeah .. running maverick meerkat.

Beans

Toshiba Satellite L655-S5115

1) Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick 64-bit. (Also tried Ubuntu 11.04 Natty alpha1 64-bit; same results)
    2) Toshiba
    3) Satellite L655-S5115
    4) Wireless adapter and battery not recognized; built-in microphone, microphone jack, and headphone jack not working.

I managed to get wireless and audio working completely, however I have no solution for the battery issue. I don't know how to find the charge level of the battery, apart from booting Windows.

Beans

Hey,

I just bought a logik wireless keyboard and mouse, the keyboard worked as soon as I plugged it in but the mouse doesn't. Ubuntu works perfectly on my laptop and I've had no problems with anything so far, but i'll admit i'm a complete novice. Because the keyboard works i'm inclined to think that it might be the mouse that is faulty but really I have no idea. I tried all the things I could think off (restarting the computer, browsed the mouse preferences, ahd a look through the forums threads) but couldn't find whats wrong)

Has anyone else had similar problems with a wireless mouse? Am I missing a thread that was set up for precisely this kind of issue?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Cheers.

(apologies if this is in the wrong thread, like I said, i'm a complete moron when it comes to these things)
    )

Beans

Sony Vaio VPCF132FX: Kubuntu/Ubuntu 10.10 - 64bit.

Sony Vaio VPCF132FX:
    Ubuntu/Kubuntu 10.10 (64bit)

Got a sweet new Sony i7 and wiped windows right away. I perhaps should have waited, because there are a host of problems. I finally broke down and bought the support package from Canonical. I was given permission to share with others the fixes that work for me. As we work through them, I'll update this post.

Problems:

[1] Installing with updates, or installing updates after install causes machine to freeze on login.
    [2] Installing NVidia driver's garbles screen on Ubuntu, and freezes screen on reboot in Kubuntu. {work-around}
    [3] Touchpad doesn't work. {solved}
    [4] Sleep and hibernate do not work.
    [5] HDMI output doesn't work.
    [6] Brother wireless printer (HL-2170W) won't print

Solutions:

[1] For now, I didn't install with updates and I haven't updated my system. More to come on this one. {Update Feb27 2010} I think I was wrong on this one. Updates seem to work - as long as I don't install NVidia.

[2] Video card bug, cannot use NVidia drivers. Please add your name to the bug list if appropriate (so it gets fixed more quickly).

{Work around}
    Use mesa for 3d;

sudo apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx

[3] Found the solution to the touchpad in this forum;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1526740
    Last edited by WASHAD; February 27th, 2011 at 07:32 PM.

Beans

1)Ubuntu 10.10 with latest update
    2)Laptop Maker Dell
    3)Dell 1525
    4)many problems i blog about it on my blog http://bnselim.wordpress.com/2010/12/24/ubuntu-10-10/

1- Bad image quality in Firefox
    2- Video quality totally bad using Totem Movie Player 2.32.0
    3- I can’t add Arabic as a second language I tried to download Arabic language package failed massage appeared and paged installed even with this i can’t read Arabic in txt files
    4- Sound icon in system try disappear suddenly!!!
    5- can’t load subtitle to any kind of film specially Arabic subtitle using Totem Movie Player 2.32.0

if any geek know how can i solve it, please reply>>>>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu 10.10 latest updated
    Munfacturer Sony
    Model VGN-CR11GH/L

Known issues is the camera works fien for taking pictures but for recording a video it's worst, it's just 1 or 2 fps.My camera type is Ricoh Co., Ltd Visual Communication Camera VGP-VCC6 [R5U870]

Any solutions?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

Version of Ubuntu: Maverick Meerkat 64-bit
    MAKE: Sony
    MODEL: VPCEB34EN (E series in general)
    ISSUES: TOUCHPAD (ALPS) Not recognised at all (in both 32-bit and 64-bit); fn keys( work fine in 32 bit); Sound is not loud, on trying to increase it cracks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Re: Laptop INCOMPATABILITY List.

1)Version Of Ubuntu ..... 9.10 and 10.04 and 10.10

2)Laptop Maker ..... HP/Compaq

3)Laptop Model ..... 6735s with 4 GB Ram and 320 GB disk

4)Known Issue ..... Constant CPU overheating to the point that the system crashes, i.e. becomes so completely unresponsive that only a hard reset corrects the problem. Ubuntu 10.10 worked best so far, but still the CPU is running quite hot daily (being used as a laptop with attached display, keyboard, and mouse). I'm not a gamer and I do not play hard core 3D games but the 3D effects are enabled. No compiz cube or other effects aside from standard wobbling windows though. I've fiddled with the power settings as well as the bios countless times in the past 12 months. I suspect the horrible ATI HD 3200 graphics chip is to blame, it's been a problem since Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty.
    PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast