Thread: Firewall

Beans

Firewall

I am a newbie to Ubuntu. I've been reading information on how to turn on the default firewall and it might as well be written in Greek.

I have located Network Settings options for iPv4 and iPv6 and have turned them on. Is this the correct way to activate the Ubuntu firewall?

Also, I have noticed that since enabling these settings I can no longer access Options in Network settings. How can I access the Options settings again? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Firewall

I would install Gufw, Enable it, choose DENY IN, ALLOW OUT - for the moment - until I understand more Greek.

Beans

Question Re: Firewall

Sorry for being such a newb...I was under the assumption that firewall and virus etc came turned on and runnning and all that with ubuntu?

Very new here...

ego-

Beans

How do I access UFW?

New to Ubuntu and lost. If someone could point me in the right direction of where I can find, access and manage UFW settings, please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How do I access UFW?

ufw a command line program.

Open a terminal and use:

Code:
    man ufw
    to enable it simply:

Code:
    sudo ufw enable
    beyond that is simply tweaking rules to fit your needs.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How do I access UFW?

Community documentation, UFW:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW

And the gufw GUI frontend:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gufw
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInNevada View Post
    I have located Network Settings options for iPv4 and iPv6 and have turned them on. Is this the correct way to activate the Ubuntu firewall?
    No, that's got nothing to do with the firewall.

To enable the firewall:

Open a terminal by pressing ctrl + alt + t.
    type in
    Code:
    sudo ufw enable
    and you're done. It will allow all out and deny all incoming by default, which will be fine for you until you learn more.

It will also stay enabled from now on even after you reboot until you specifically disable the firewall by typing
    Code:
    sudo ufw disable
    Last edited by Ms. Daisy; February 16th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Threads merged. One thread per topic, please.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

ctrl alt t is what I was looking for. Thank you, Ms Daisy!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by egosophist View Post
    Sorry for being such a newb...I was under the assumption that firewall and virus etc came turned on and runnning and all that with ubuntu?
    Read the basic security wiki, it's designed specifically to answer your questions.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

TL;DR version: the firewall is installed but not enabled by default.

There is no anti-virus software in the world that will scan for linux viruses, they all scan for Windows and maybe Mac viruses. So for a new Linux user there is no point in running anti-virus. However, there are OTHER security controls that you might want to implement that would actually be effective. Again, read the basic security wiki for details.