Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ASUS N61Jv / N71Jv / N82Jv / UL50Vf anyone?

Beans

Re: ASUS N61Jv / N71Jv / N82Jv / UL50Vf anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by EL_Staso View Post
    Just switch the graphic card in bios.
    unfortunately, I can't find any option to switch the graphic card in N82JV's bios.
    i'm going all google to find options to switch off the nvidia graphic card (because it turns up the heat considerably here ) and stumbled upon the thread here and thankfully i haven't downloaded and install the proprietary drivers..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hi everybody.
    I'm otherwise a pleased owner of an n61jv and stuck with the same problem. This bios switching possibility sounds very nice, but, in my bios ver. 208 there is no such available. The newest bios update is ver. 220 and there is no history file mentioning the changes available. Is there anybody who has tried out ver. 220 who could confirm if there is such an option available or if there is not? I'm realy curious and i have to admit, since a bios update is a very delicant procedure, i would not like do go through it for nothing.
    Thanx in advance people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

well well well, sadly in 10.10 nothing changed, still no working drivers...

Beans
    Distro

There's a workaround for some people. I have the u43jc and you can use the 320m by installing the nvidia drivers, blacklisting the intel chip and rebooting. If you don't disable the intel chip, you'll get stuck on the Checking battery state...

Only problem is that the 310 is the only one running and the battery gets slurped up pretty quick.

If it doesn't work, you can boot in safe graphics and reset everything.

I guess we'll just have to watch closely for updated nv drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by PopTart911 View Post
    There's a workaround for some people. I have the u43jc and you can use the 320m by installing the nvidia drivers, blacklisting the intel chip and rebooting. If you don't disable the intel chip, you'll get stuck on the Checking battery state...

Only problem is that the 310 is the only one running and the battery gets slurped up pretty quick.

I tried this workaround some months ago but it didn't work on my n61jv with an nvidia gt 325m cuda enabled. According to nvidia, the gt 320m is not cuda enabled. Could it be that on cuda enabled cards the workaround is more difficult or even impossible? Anybody has an answer to that maybe?

@ PopTart911, what version of bios are you running on and have you the option to disable the intel graphics through the bios?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by PopTart911 View Post

Great to know, thanks for the info. How did you blacklist the intel chip?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

UL30VT: does not work.
    I created a file called
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-intel.conf
    and put there the text
    Code:
    blacklist i915
    . I installed nvidia drivers. i915 still gets loaded and I get to my desktop running with the intel driver after reboot, but the graphics are upside-down (using wrong libGL I guess).

However, if I go to the BIOS and change "SATA Mode" from "Enhanced" to "Compatibility" I can use NVIDIA and the intel card is not even visible in lspci. On the other hand this requires a reboot and changing the BIOS setting, so it is not optimal.
    Last edited by Vermind; November 2nd, 2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Improved formatting
    Vermind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Vermind View Post
    UL30VT: does not work.
    I created a file called
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-intel.conf
    and put there the text
    Code:
    blacklist i915
    . I installed nvidia drivers. i915 still gets loaded and I get to my desktop running with the intel driver after reboot, but the graphics are upside-down (using wrong libGL I guess).

However, if I go to the BIOS and change "SATA Mode" from "Enhanced" to "Compatibility" I can use NVIDIA and the intel card is not even visible in lspci. On the other hand this requires a reboot and changing the BIOS setting, so it is not optimal.
    This solution works for an ATI RADEON FGLRX too ? I have exactly the same issue on my HP dv42080br and my BIOS has no option to disable the onboard core i5 graphics.
    "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

Jubarte - Telecommunications Engineering Suite
    http://sites.google.com/site/jubartecalc/

Beans
    Distro

I heard that N71JV works well on Nouveau drivers. Any ideas how to install it ? Im still a newbie

Beans

Red face Re: ASUS N61Jv / N71Jv / N82Jv / UL50Vf anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie View Post
    I heard that N71JV works well on Nouveau drivers. Any ideas how to install it ? Im still a newbie
    You could do it via the terminal, but I think it's of nu use.

Got also black screens..

I didn't know about the blacklist workaround, have spended the whole day trying to solve the blackscreen. Editing xorg.conf didn't work anymore, and resetting with sudo dpkg command not too..

Had to re-install the stuff

I think the blacklist workaround switches on your Nvidia chip, but then you don't use your Intel...

I like to be informed in this interesting subject

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast