Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed some updates and now Liferea is not working anymore

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Installed some updates and now Liferea is not working anymore

Hi
    I have just installed some updates which was including the webkit and its related libraries. Now my liferea is not working and when I run it in the console it returns the following error:

liferea: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2: undefined symbol: soup_content_decoder_get_type

Any idea what should I do?

Thanks
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Installed some updates and now Liferea is not working anymore

Affects me too, also software center does not work anymore due to a webkit problem.

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 78, in <module>
        from softwarecenter.app import SoftwareCenterApp
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/app.py", line 43, in <module>
        from view.installedpane import InstalledPane
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/installedpane.py", line 36, in <module>
        from softwarepane import SoftwarePane, wait_for_apt_cache_ready
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/softwarepane.py", line 38, in <module>
        from appdetailsview import AppDetailsView
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/appdetailsview.py", line 52, in <module>
        from widgets.wkwidget import WebkitWidget
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/widgets/wkwidget.py", line 27, in <module>
        import webkit
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/webkit/__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
        import webkit
    ImportError: /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2: undefined symbol: soup_content_decoder_get_type
    takmadeus@takmadeus-desktop:~$ software-center 
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/software-center", line 78, in <module>
        from softwarecenter.app import SoftwareCenterApp
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/app.py", line 43, in <module>
        from view.installedpane import InstalledPane
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/installedpane.py", line 36, in <module>
        from softwarepane import SoftwarePane, wait_for_apt_cache_ready
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/softwarepane.py", line 38, in <module>
        from appdetailsview import AppDetailsView
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/appdetailsview.py", line 52, in <module>
        from widgets.wkwidget import WebkitWidget
      File "/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/view/widgets/wkwidget.py", line 27, in <module>
        import webkit
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/webkit/__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
        import webkit
    ImportError: /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2: undefined symbol: soup_content_decoder_get_type
    My Microblog: http://identi.ca/takmadeus

My Macroblog: http://wordpress.com/takmadeus - Tech talk for the common guy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think you guys are using the webkit-team ppa? Seems like there's a major upgrade going on, should come back once everything's up to date I assume.

Or rather: Perhaps there was some hiccup that has installed a wrong version of libsoup2.4 and libsoup-gnome2.4. I, in any case, have fixed this by manually installing (i.e. downgrading) the two packages from the webkit-team ppa. To do so, head over to: https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+.../ppa/+packages and expand libsoup2.4 - 2.28.2-1~kkwkt1. Or go directly to https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+...-archive-extra. Then find the two deb packages libsoup-gnome2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1 and libsoup2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1 that correspond with your architecture (i386 or amd64), download them to a location which you can find in a terminal window, and type
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i libsoup2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_i386.deb libsoup-gnome2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_i386.deb
    or
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i libsoup2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_amd64.deb libsoup-gnome2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_amd64.deb
    (depending on your architecture). If something goes wrong, you might end up uninstalling a lot of programs, so watch out and double check before you confirm any choices.
    Last edited by soro2005; January 7th, 2010 at 07:34 PM.

Beans

I had the same problem and it was caused by a new version of libwebkit.

The solution is to go back to the previous version (from synaptic) or deactivate the "unofficial" repositories for Libwebkit.

Assuming that this is for beginners (like me), this issue is caused (also can be solved) with some kind of app like Ubuntu Tweak... if you have it installed, then you need to launch it and deactivate the repositories for liferea and libwebkit there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by soro2005 View Post
    I think you guys are using the webkit-team ppa? Seems like there's a major upgrade going on, should come back once everything's up to date I assume.

Or rather: Perhaps there was some hiccup that has installed a wrong version of libsoup2.4 and libsoup-gnome2.4. I, in any case, have fixed this by manually installing (i.e. downgrading) the two packages from the webkit-team ppa. To do so, head over to: https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+.../ppa/+packages and expand libsoup2.4 - 2.28.2-1~kkwkt1. Or go directly to https://launchpad.net/~webkit-team/+...-archive-extra. Then find the two deb packages libsoup-gnome2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1 and libsoup2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1 that correspond with your architecture (i386 or amd64), download them to a location which you can find in a terminal window, and type
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i libsoup2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_i386.deb libsoup-gnome2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_i386.deb
    or
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i libsoup2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_amd64.deb libsoup-gnome2.4-1_2.28.2-1~kkwkt1_amd64.deb
    (depending on your architecture). If something goes wrong, you might end up uninstalling a lot of programs, so watch out and double check before you confirm any choices.

Thanks, it worked.
    Ubuntu 10.04
    ATI 3470
    4 GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thx it works! =)

Beans

Code:
    or
    Code:
    You're a lifesaver. This has been bugging the hell out of me with evolution-rss the last few days and I finally have it fixed. Now I have both my evo and my Chromium fixed. Now I just have to get these two fixes blogged in hopes of helping others find them.
    For an OSX look check out Mac4Lin (updated support thread)
    Follow me on Twitter | My Blog
    The Search tool is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ooops sorry for the mess /o\

WebkitGtk 1.1.18 is incompatible with libsoup 2.29.3, so we had to downgrade to version 2.28.2 in order to provide it.
    Last edited by Stemp; January 9th, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Sorry for my English - Home Page - PPA Webkit - PPA Midori - PPA Liferea - Personal PPA
    «Violence never settles anything.» - Genghis Khan, 1162-1227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Code:
    or
    Code:
    You're AWESOME! Now i can use pino and midori again
    Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

kudos and thanks! gotta love a quick fix. alternatively, this can be done the graphical way within synaptic...

package > force version > downgrade libsoup-gnome, then libsoup
    Mobo: ECS-K8M890-M; 2GB DDR2; AMD Athlon64X2 AM2 2.2Ghz;
    OS: Leo, W7, Jaunty; AV: AC97; Sapphire X1650 256MB DDR2
    HD: WD40GB IDE (OSX) & Seagate160GB SATA (Win/Linux)
    WLAN: Linksys WUSB54Gv4 (rt2x00) & Asus USB-N11 (???)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast