Thread: loading ddd from cd

Beans

loading ddd from cd

Hello everyone,

I am brand spanking new to Ubuntu and Linux generally. I have installed 12.04 on a rather old HP box that has NO INTERNET connectivity. I would like to install DDD GDB frontend via a cd-rom. I have copied a download of DDD onto a CD. I cannot figure out how to load the CD copy into the APPS folder.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Allyn

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: loading ddd from cd

Quote Originally Posted by mark allyn View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am brand spanking new to Ubuntu and Linux generally. I have installed 12.04 on a rather old HP box that has NO INTERNET connectivity. I would like to install DDD GDB frontend via a cd-rom. I have copied a download of DDD onto a CD. I cannot figure out how to load the CD copy into the APPS folder.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Allyn
    Humm... when you put in the disk, can you access it from your the folder browser?

if so you should be able to copy the files from it..

what is the file type u downloaded?
    "Those who make peaceful protest impossible make violent revolution inevitable"

Beans

Hi, and thanks.

The download from the DDD site was named ddd_3.3.11-1i386.deb. This is recognized by 7-zip as a data.tar. If it is extracted there are some 57 files in it.

I'll try putting the unzipped folder into a window as you suggest. I'm a bit uncertain how to proceed from there.

Thanks for your help,

Mark Allyn

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

mark ; Hi !

Welcome to ubuntu in general and this forum in particular.

I am not familiar withe ddd.... but here is the general guideline for .tar files.

I suggest from your home directory ...make a working directory for data.tar:
    Code:
    mkdir data-tar
    can be any name I use this for clarity.
    now copy your ddd_3.3.11-1i386.deb. to your working directory.
    if it is in the downloads directory code:
    Code:
    cp ~/ ddd_3.3.11-1i386.deb. data-tar
    change directory into your working directory:
    Code:
    cd data-tar
    now extract the files (as it is a deb file may be able to double click the file and extract/install automatically) else: go ahead and extract the .tar and follow the readme file for installation.

hth <==BDQ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If it's actually a .deb file you shouldn't need to extract it ( .deb IS a form of compressing/packaging files but it's executable by dpkg). Just copy it from the cd into your home directory, open a terminal and run

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i ddd_3.3.11-1i386.deb
    And that will install it. If there are dependencies missing dpkg will tell you right then.

Beans

Good afternoon, Bashing-Om and Cortman,

Thanks very much for your help on this. I have not yet had a chance to try your methods. What I did do before reading your replies was to right click on the .deb file on the window that opens showing the cd files. This brought me to a window from ubuntu package manager and I felt good. But, nothing happened when I clicked on the install button (which made sense since it was grayed-out).

I'm quite hopeful that your suggestions will work. Yes, I figured out that I didn't need to do the extraction with 7-Zip.

This forum is very helpful and to date most friendly.

Cheers,
    Mark Allyn

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

mark;

Not a problem at all... use cortman's advise in this instance.
    let us know how it goes and:
    If Successful please mark thread as solved (to aid others searching for answers).

we are all in this together <==BDQ

Beans

Hi Bashing-Om,

Sorry I was slow to reply. Had to go teach some eager MBAs. Yes, Cortman's advice worked beautifully and I feel quite EMPOWERED.

BUT, I would like to pursue your suggestion a bit more, if you will. Last I knew (several years ago I messed around with OS software and autoconfig etc.) there was a process of decompressing a tarball and then ./configure, make, make-install. Were you suggesting that I should follow this approach to install DDD on Ubuntu?

I'd really like to understand how the tarball decompression and subsequent steps work under Ubuntu.

This really is a wonderful forum. Only one I know that comes close is the MASM32 forum.... (Excuse me, please). If you could spare a moment on this, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
    Mark