Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Notifications pop-up seems misplaced in desktop

Beans

Re: Notifications pop-up seems misplaced in desktop

thank you so much, what a strange choice to move the popup there...

Since you move the mouse over it, it become transparent and you can click trough it there's no real excuse to change the position...
    I first tough that was because the close button of the windows...
    but no you can click even if the osd is shown...

Anyway the .deb worked nicely.
    << Ubuntu 9.10 karmic x64
    Last edited by dlzerocool; December 9th, 2009 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Notifications pop-up seems (read "is") misplaced in desktop...

Firstly, I've reviewed all of the documentation on this issue. After considering the myriad excuses (including the importance of aesthetics) presented by the development team, it's my opinion that the current positioning looks (and is) ridiculous - much like parking your car 10 feet from the curb to accommodate visitors who rarely, if ever, visit. That would look silly, wouldn't it...?

Questions and considerations:

• How many people find themselves needing to manipulate window controls when a notification is present...?

This seems to be the overriding argument for offsetting async notifications. It bugs the heck out of me, for the simple fact that the most frequent notifications are async, and because they're async, are offset directly over important tools (when maximized). Exactly what we're trying to avoid, right Yes...it's possible to click THROUGH the popup, but the fundamental idea is to ACKNOWLEDGE the notification, either by closing it or clicking on it to open the notifying program...

1. SOLUTION - Combined Notifications (Drawer)

A single "drawer" (similar in appearance to the current "balloon") that slide-fades from the top-right beneath the panel, or from directly under it. If appearance is as important as the developers claim (and it is) then merging notifications is the only option. Disjoint notifications of any kind (stacking, ballooning, etc.) will only look flaky and half-baked (sort of how they do now)...

The "drawer" should also allow MEANINGFUL user interaction, however limited it may be. For instance, it should be possible for the user to acknowledge the notification by closing it directly, rather than relying on some obscure (and incredibly annoying) click-through scheme. I don't know about you, but when I mouse-over a notification, I intend to interact with the notification, not close a window or perform a search...

Another example is the case of "queued" notifications, where several popups are activated simultaneously. In these cases, user acknowledgement would force the popup to slide-fade IN, and immediately slide-fade OUT to display the next notification. This characteristic would also apply autonomously (the popup times-out), and help to catch the user's eye during notification changes.
    Just my 2 cents, but something has to be done about this. It looks horrible, and suffers from a complete lack of functionality. It doesn't need to be overcomplicated or bloated with customizations, just streamlined. The "drawer" outlined above would definitely accomplish this, giving the desktop a more integrated feel, and inject some much-needed practicality.
    Last edited by nallen00; January 2nd, 2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Because it's 1 o'clock in the morning, duh...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12