Thread: Internet settings

Beans

Internet settings

I am new to ubuntu 9.04 and am having some annoying issues with Firefox 3.5.3. On many of the websites that I visit regularly, the text is squished together and many of the words are layered on top of each other, making it difficult to read. Is there a setting within Firefox that I am missing or something that I need to add within the package manager? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Internet settings

You likely need to install the msttcorefonts package. Many websites are designed to display fonts that are packaged with Windows but not Linux; this package makes things look much better.

Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
    sudo fc-cache -fv
    "To make a statue needs skill: to view a statue aright needs skill also." -Epictetus

Beans

I installed the msttcorefonts package and nothing changed. The same websites are still having issues. It is really strange - words overlap on top of each other and I cannot read some sentences on the sites. Maybe something else might work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Can you downgrade your Firefox to some older version like Firefox 3.0.13. You can use Synaptic Pacakage Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Re: Internet settings

Are you perhaps just zoomed in? Try hitting Ctrl + 0 (that's a Zero, not an Oh) to reset your FF zoom level.
    "To make a statue needs skill: to view a statue aright needs skill also." -Epictetus

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bribera View Post
    You likely need to install the msttcorefonts package. Many websites are designed to display fonts that are packaged with Windows but not Linux; this package makes things look much better.

Try this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
    sudo fc-cache -fv
    may be
    sudo apt-get install ttf-liberation
    not 100% sure but try it plz