Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Quote Originally Posted by yadayada2 View Post
    Well, I have followed your instructions, but now I cannot open Sound Recorder. I attached the error message as a screenshot.

Edit: I have to add that there are no "Sound Preferences" in the Preferences menu anymore.
    Did You add the dtl31 ppa repository, followed by update, upgrade and reboot?
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I did. But it didn't change anything. Now I have done all steps again and rebooted. And still the error message appears.

Beans
    Distro

Go to System->Preferences->Sound and check if You have an audio device set.
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As you can see in the attached screenshot, there is no such option.

Edit: When I run the item "Default Sound Card" it seems nothing happens. When I run this link in a terminal, this will be the output
    /usr/bin/asoundconf-gtk < ~

(process:2537): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    sh: /usr/bin/asoundconf: not found
    You need to make sure asoundconf is active!
    By default, asoundconf's configuration file is ~/.asoundrc.asoundconf
    and must be included in ~/.asoundrc. Open this file to make sure it is!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yadayada2; May 16th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by yadayada2 View Post
    As you can see in the attached screenshot, there is no such option.
    It is probably hidden. Right click and choose "Edit menu" and then turn it on. If it's still not there, You can invoke it manually:
    Code:
    gnome-volume-control
    Try also this:
    Code:
    gstreamer-properties
    Michał Gołębiowski

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, now I can open this dialog from the command line. However, the Sound Recorder still gives the same error message.

Then I have tried your second command, which will give me another windows, as to be seen in the next attached screenshot. ALSA is selected as default input plugin, and as device, there is a default option.

When I click on "Test", I get ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture: Could not open audio device for recording.

There are also two options, both labeled ALC1200 Analog. Selecting one and then testing, a new dialogue appears. "Testing pipeline". A small block runs from the left to the right and back again, but nothing more happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry, little update. Now I can open the Sound Recorder. I don't know, why this works now. Thanks anyway.

The only problem remaining is that the front mic still doesn't work. Seems that taking away pulseaudio didn't solve that problem.

Beans
    Distro

Invoke
    Code:
    alsamixer
    in the terminal and upload the screenshot.
    Michał Gołębiowski

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Somehow this still calls for pulse.

Beans
    Distro

Check if You really removed these packages (sometimes some error may prevent it, leave conf. files etc.)...
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --purge libcanberra-pulse pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-udev   pulseaudio-module-x11 gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils pavucontrol
    Do You have ~/.asoundrc file? If so, remove it.

You can also check what You have in /etc/:
    Code:
    find /etc/ -name "*alsa*" 2>/dev/null
    find /etc/ -name "*pulse*" 2>/dev/null
    and check if any of found *alsa* files doesn't invoke PulseAudio in any way.

I'm running out of ideas - didn't You change a lot of stuff before upgrade to 10.04? I'm convinced it should work just OK after performing steps supplied by teamanx on a clean 10.04 install...
    Last edited by mgol; May 16th, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
    Michał Gołębiowski

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast