Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Quote Originally Posted by teet View Post
    Can you just redefine the shortcut key in System --> preferences --> keyboard shortcuts?

-teet
    No, the shortcut is fine, but when you remove pulseaudio, it also removes the audio applet that takes command from the keyboard shortcut.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Quake View Post
    No, the shortcut is fine, but when you remove pulseaudio, it also removes the audio applet that takes command from the keyboard shortcut.
    Try this:
    https://launchpad.net/~dtl131/+archive/ppa/
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you very much for that link! I will try it when I get home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

mgol, I THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally removed the Pulseaudio virus! It could hit up to 35% in CPU usage.

I think I should blog about this!

Beans

Thank you Hugo Alvarado

Beans

Here is the full command sequence to get rid of pulse with Lucid, that worked for me, based on the posts above. Just copy and paste onto the terminal:

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.bak
    sudo sed /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.bak -e 's/\"\/usr\/share\/alsa\/pulse.conf\"/#\"\/usr\/share\/alsa\/pulse.conf\"/g' > /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dtl131/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install esound esound-clients esound-common libesd-alsa0 alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-utils alsa-oss linux-sound-base python-alsaaudio gnome-media libsdl1.2debian-alsa
    sudo apt-get purge libcanberra-pulse pulseaudio pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-udev   pulseaudio-module-x11 gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils pavucontrol
    Now reboot, log in, and add to the panel the "Volume Control" applet, by right-clicking on the panel and selecting "Add to the panel...". By clicking on the new applet and selecting "Volume Control", you can have access to all sound properties.
    Last edited by teamanx; May 19th, 2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added libsdl1.2debian-alsa for installing
    God Bless You

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Why to install esound? ALSA is enough with its mixing capabilities, I guess.

I would also move the line:
    Code:
    to the beginning. Otherwise some packages are installed twice - from standard repository and then upgraded, it's a waste of bandwidth.
    Last edited by mgol; May 14th, 2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: additional remark
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mgol View Post
    I have never found it necessary to install any of the esound stuff either. I also have not installed any extra alsa stuff beyond what is included in a default Ubuntu 10.04 install.
    Just removing pulseaudio and gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio will disable pulse audio and take almost all of the pulseaudio related packages away too.
    Just run gstreamer-properties in the terminal after removing pulseaudio and set everything to alsa. I can control all the sound levels just fine with alsamixer in the terminal. Some of those alsa packages (e.g., alsa-base and alsa-utils) are already part of a default Ubuntu 10.04 install.
    Installing the extra alsa packages will not hurt anything though; and it does give some extra GUI control over sound properties.
    I would also move the line:
    Code:
    to the beginning. Otherwise some packages are installed twice - from standard repository and then upgraded, it's a waste of bandwidth.
    I don't bother with that ppa repo either.
    Last edited by tommcd; May 15th, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

That's OK, as long as your sound card supports hardware mixing. If it doesn't, then you must set up ALSA to use DMix, which needs extra config, and has worst performance than esound. That's my experience, but maybe I'm wrong and it is a better choice to stick with ALSA.
    God Bless You

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I have followed your instructions, but now I cannot open Sound Recorder. I attached the error message as a screenshot.

Edit: I have to add that there are no "Sound Preferences" in the Preferences menu anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast