Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop icons default align right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Desktop icons default align right?

Is there a way to make Desktop icons align to the right? i.e., when I save something new to ~/Desktop/, have it appear on the right rather than the left? Using standard hardy w/Gnome.

This is basically a bump of the now-read-only/archived http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=520264
    System76 Serval | nVidia 512 MB GeForce 8600M GT | Realtek ALC 268 | Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5 GHz 800 MHz FSB 6 MB L2 | 4 GB - 2 x 2 GB DDR2 667 MHZ | 200 GB 7200 RPM SATA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Desktop icons default align right?

I would like to bump this since I too would like to know, especially since I have my desktop looking like a Mac and widgets on the left side.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Red face Re: Desktop icons default align right?

Mega bump

Beans

Smile Re: Desktop icons default align right?

Should be an option in Gnome settings - still not found by me ... will update if i do locate the same. In the meantime ...

*mega-bump*

NOTICE:gconf-editor doesn't have an option for setting this, don't waste your time trying to set it using the same. On the other hand, there are a number of options you might want to fiddle with if you know what you are doing
    Last edited by polax; August 31st, 2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Updating the post.

Beans

Not sure why there are so many unanswered pleas for help concerning this so I too shall bump. If it can't be done, for the love of Vader, someone just say as much.

*bump*

Beans

Bumb... because may wallpaper has a design on the left side, plus I like my icons on the right.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sohlside View Post
    Not sure why there are so many unanswered pleas for help concerning this so I too shall bump. If it can't be done, for the love of Vader, someone just say as much.

*bump*
    Well, I just came to say that it can't be done. There's no such option in Gnome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Well, I just came to say that it can't be done. There's no such option in Gnome.
    Thanks, mcduck. I've unintentionally figured out that if you move device icons then they seem to reappear in the same location the next time they are mounted. Still, I have downloaded files getting forgotten behind Conky when I have several at once. My solution is to click-drag the desktop grabbing a visible icon as well as the space that is hidden behind Conky and then move all items by dragging the visible icon to the right. It's not a solution but it is a means of coping.

Another solution to this might be specify a different location for downloads and mount that folder to the desktop so it stays where you put it. Barring that, viewing the desktop as a folder shows any icons that may be out of view. I'm finding this to be an increasingly minimal issue when weighed alongside the multitude of improvements this OS has brought to my productivity and sanity.

Beans

Red face Re: Desktop icons default align right?

bump... isn't there a app that allows you to change this? i have mac4lin and i would like my new downloads etc to go left...

Beans

MegaBump on this: it's so strange, I can't believe it is impossible to do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast