Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VLC video playback tearing

Beans

Question VLC video playback tearing

Hi,

Ever since I upgraded to Intrepid, video playback under VLC is tearing. The Hardy version of VLC (0.8.x) didn't have any problems. Anyone have any suggestions?

The video format doesn't seem to matter. I've tried DVD, h.264 and Xvid videos.

I'm using a Dell notebook (e1405) with Intel 945GM graphics, connected to an external 22" Samsung LCD.

Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: VLC video playback tearing

Did you get tearing (with or without) compiz in Hardy?
    I have an intel gm965 and I get tearing in Intrepid. There was a fix for it, but it causes screen flickers before playing any video.

If it works great in Hardy, I will debate downgrading!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

did you try changing your video player's video output to X11 ?

Beans

Yes, I tried every available 'video output' setting, including X11, in VLC, but none of them helped.

I had no tearing whatsoever in Hardy. I usually don't use compiz, and I'm not right now, but I don't think it's been a factor either way.

Beans

Hi,

I actually found a solution to this. Found a bug in launchpad that I didn't see the last time I looked into this.

Anyway, the solution that worked for me was to change "XVideo adaptor number" to "1" (started as "-1") in the VLC settings. To get there, go to Tools/Preferences, then click 'All' at the bottom, then go to Video/Output modules/XVideo. The "XVideo adaptor number" setting is on that page.

It looks like changing the "TexturedVideo" option mentioned in the bug could be a solution, too, but I haven't tried that yet since it doesn't look like the updated package has made it out to the main distribution yet.

Here is the bug with more info:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/in...el/+bug/278318

Hope this works for anyone else that has the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by incandenza View Post
    Hi,

I actually found a solution to this. Found a bug in launchpad that I didn't see the last time I looked into this.

Anyway, the solution that worked for me was to change "XVideo adaptor number" to "1" (started as "-1") in the VLC settings. To get there, go to Tools/Preferences, then click 'All' at the bottom, then go to Video/Output modules/XVideo. The "XVideo adaptor number" setting is on that page.

It looks like changing the "TexturedVideo" option mentioned in the bug could be a solution, too, but I haven't tried that yet since it doesn't look like the updated package has made it out to the main distribution yet.

That's the fix I was talking about. Adding the Texture option in xorg.conf + the fix that was submitted causes flash glitches before playing a video.

The benefit is that it is system wide whereas the vlc option is only for vlc.

Beans

FYI, I was seeing this on Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, with my Nvidia GTX 260 and Samsung 244T, while running compiz. Setting Compiz' 'Sync to Vblank" (under the CompizConfig Advanced Search) made VLC run without tearing. (And made regular compiz effects look smooth too.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulKroll View Post
    FYI, I was seeing this on Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, with my Nvidia GTX 260 and Samsung 244T, while running compiz. Setting Compiz' 'Sync to Vblank" (under the CompizConfig Advanced Search) made VLC run without tearing. (And made regular compiz effects look smooth too.)
    I'm just going to jump in here in case anyone else is still looking for a solution to this - setting the Vblank (General-Video of compiz settings) seems to sort this for me

Beans

8.10, 64 bit.

9600GT 512mb PCIEx16 2.0.

VLC - X11 as video output - Didn't Work.
    Compiz - Turned off - Didn't Work.
    Sync to Vblank - Didn't Work.
    VLC - Changed that -1 +1 setting spoken about above - Didn't Work.

Come on, this is getting old.

Does Hardy use the latest kernel? The same one Intrepid has? I have BRAND new hardware that needs the latest kernel to run... If I can move back to Hardy where things work easier, damnit I will.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by incandenza View Post
    Hi,

you are my hero !
    The XVideo adapter setting worked like a charm (on VLC 1.0) - no more tearing ! woohoo !

going to watch something now....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast