Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: gentoo?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: gentoo?

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    Does that include the "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" you have to do because of the gcc and glibc updates after install? If so, what are your system specs? (does that sound sort of like a geek pickup line? )
    Huh ? Why do "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" ? That will reemerge some packages (all those in "system") twice. Just "emerge gcc glibc && emerge -e world" is enough. Anyway, the machine is an Athlon 64 FX-62 with 2 GiB of RAM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    Huh ? Why do "emerge -e system && emerge -e world" ? That will reemerge some packages (all those in "system") twice. Just "emerge gcc glibc && emerge -e world" is enough. Anyway, the machine is an Athlon 64 FX-62 with 2 GiB of RAM.
    emerge -e system && emerge -e world

is in the official documentation (or was, I haven't looked lately) as the correct way to update a system after a glibc update.

Edit: It is actually in the gcc upgrade guide, but it is also the proper advice after a glibc update.
    Last edited by yabbadabbadont; January 30th, 2008 at 03:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    lol x 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

with stage3 ,will it take days to install?
    actually,does any one tried from stage1 ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
    with stage3 ,will it take days to install?
    As was stated in ths thread countless times, it depends on your hardware and level of experience (it goes faster if you've already done it a few times).

Quote Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
    actually,does any one tried from stage1 ?
    Yes, just out of curiosity, but it is generally agreed now that there is no practical use to it. It is not even officially documented anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    As was stated in ths thread countless times, it depends on your hardware and level of experience (it goes faster if you've already done it a few times).
    Could compiling issues for a slow machine be removed if you properly chrooted to the slow machines drive from a faster machine?

I've copied my slow laptop's hdd to a spare because, although being helpful, an icecream compiling cluster appears to be bottlenecked by latencies namely the network and the hdd. also icecc doesn't cover fortran, gmake, and bzip2.

If this emerge -u world works i may chroot instead of icecc cluster
    Last edited by regomodo; March 27th, 2008 at 12:24 AM.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You could do that, as long as your setup (kernel, compiler optimizations, etc.) is generic enough to run on both systems (i.e. no -O4 -march=nocona ).

Beans
    Distro

should I wait for gentoo-2008 livecd?and use stage3 tarballs from drobbins? (http://funtoo.org )

OR
    I have a livecd image here in hdd seems that from 2004.x .will that be enough
    ?afterall,in rolling release distros,installer doesnt matter unless it doesnot support ur immediate basic hardware?true?
    Gentoo users - I am now building up-to-date Gentoo stage tarballs for x86 (x86 and i686 arches) and amd64. These stage tarballs are current stable builds of Gentoo built using a current Portage snapshot and are all built from the ground up. That means that if you use one of these stage3 tarballs to install Gentoo, you will save a lot of time since the system should not need to emerge much if anything when you type "emerge -u system". Enjoy them and please send me your feedback
    http://funtoo.org/
    Last edited by deepclutch; March 27th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

When you do a stage install you can use anything as an installation environment (Gentoo Live CD, Ubuntu Live CD, Knoppix or even your already-installed Linux). It will have no effect on the installed Gentoo.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the replies
    a lil bit offtopic :
    what about the in-fights between devels on gentoo?I heard it was(or is?) stagnant for some time.esp after drobbins issues!

also does there gonna be a fork of gentoo anytime(funtoo? )
    I do want to know the present scenario in gentoo community

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast