Thread: Unable to install hplip for HP Printer

Beans

Unable to install hplip for HP Printer

Hi everyone -First time user and first time poster here.

I have a DELL Mini 9 netbook running Ubuntu 9.10. For the last two days, I have been trying to install hplip for my photosmart plus B209 printer.

From what I understand, after entering
    Code:
    dpkg -l hplip
    into the terminal, the terminal responds with this:
    Code:
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                    Version                 Description
    +++-=======================-=======================-==============================================================
    ii  hplip                   3.9.8-1ubuntu2          HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)
    Thats how I know that hplip 3.9.8 is installed.

Heres the problem. I have absolutely no idea how to install the printer now. From what I can tell, I know that I have to automatically or manually install it, but I have no idea where its been downloaded to! (Its definitely not on my desktop and I'm having trouble finding its location when I search for it.

I've been paying attention to a lot of sites which give tips and advice about hplip, but I've been paying attention to this the most: http://www.icelab.eu/en/blog/ubuntu-...-ubuntu-79.htm

Anyway, I hope I explained my problem... And if I didnt.. Well lets just say that I have no idea how to install my printer and I am still really bad with using the terminal.

Thanks in advance for all of your help, guys!
    Last edited by stephcordova; January 18th, 2010 at 09:13 PM.

Beans

Re: Unable to install hplip for HP Printer

I never had to install anything to get my hp printer to work; it worked out of the box. Go to System --> Administration --> Printing. When the dialog pops up, press the "New" button. See if your printer is listed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    I never had to install anything to get my hp printer to work; it worked out of the box. Go to System --> Administration --> Printing. When the dialog pops up, press the "New" button. See if your printer is listed.

Wow. I can't believe I didn't think about doing that. I think I have the tendency to make ubuntu "too hard".

I do have another question though... This printer has a wireless capability that I would like to use. I don't know how to configure my computer to wirelessly send print jobs to the printer.

Any ideas?

Beans

I use an hp 6500 wireless. I entered the wireless network information using the panel on the printer. Once the printer saw the network, I went into the printer setup as mentioned before, and had ubuntu look for a network printer. Once it found the printer, the printer was setup automatically.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    I use an hp 6500 wireless. I entered the wireless network information using the panel on the printer. Once the printer saw the network, I went into the printer setup as mentioned before, and had ubuntu look for a network printer. Once it found the printer, the printer was setup automatically.
    Thank you!

You were right, I went to the printer screen, looked at my wireless settings and found my host name. Everything was smooth.

Thanks so much for your help...

Beans

No worries.