Thread: Programs in Ubuntu written with Python

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Programs in Ubuntu written with Python

I'm sorry if someone's asked this question before, but I can't find it anywhere on google. Where can I find programs for Ubuntu written in Python? I'm learning Python by reading Learning Python by Mark Lutley, and I want to try reading some code, but I can't find out which programs are written in Python. I remember seeing a GUI in Ubuntu that said it was 100% Python(if that's possible), but I can't remember what it was called.
    What are a couple programs in Ubuntu that have Python in them or are completely written in Python? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Programs in Ubuntu written with Python

Quote Originally Posted by davidstri View Post
    I'm sorry if someone's asked this question before, but I can't find it anywhere on google. Where can I find programs for Ubuntu written in Python? I'm learning Python by reading Learning Python by Mark Lutley, and I want to try reading some code, but I can't find out which programs are written in Python. I remember seeing a GUI in Ubuntu that said it was 100% Python(if that's possible), but I can't remember what it was called.
    What are a couple programs in Ubuntu that have Python in them or are completely written in Python? Thanks.
    If you want to learn python, I recommend you either wait 4 days or Upgrade to Ubuntu Karmic now and check out Quickly which will walk you through the process including making your own GUI applications.
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wait 4 days?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try this in a terminal:

grep '#!/usr/bin/python' /usr/bin/*

You could try it on some of the other bin and sbin directories as well.
    There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Beans

The application in my sig(which i wrote) is written entirely in python.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by davidstri View Post
    Wait 4 days?
    Until the release of the next version of Ubuntu, 3 now

If you want you could try out the release candidate though - as I said it includes some great tools for learning python
    Free as in freedom, not as in beard.

Beans
    Distro

There is many programs in the system written fully in python like Hardware Drivers (jockey-gtk) you find some code of this program here in this folder
    /usr/share/jockey

you can also find code of other apps here /usr/share , but not always , there is places in the system that application use it to store py-scripts.

I advice you to download source code of an application written in python instead of seeking code inside your system.

For example you can download the Ubuntu Tweak source code , its fully written in python.

Beans

Reading production source code is actually not a good way to learn a language at all. It is without context and rarely, if ever, explains all of the assumptions made as to how the code will fit into a larger product. It also offers no insights into why certain things are done the way they are. Often times production code is admittedly bad in order to patch over bugs and so on.

That isn't to say that reading code is always bad because it's not. It is an important way to hone your craft as a programmer, but should come after you are very comfortable with programming in general and can understand exactly what the code is doing and why.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I also agree that most of the code in the major applications is not a good place to start. I tried looking at Gramps and there are so many modules that it is extremely difficult for a beginner to follow.

I tried to find a few smaller applications and reviewed them but tutorials and several books seem for me to work the best.

python
    http://www.python.org/dev/

pyGTK applications:
    http://www.pygtk.org/applications.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.