Thread: DBMS and RDBMS shortcomings and errors

Beans

DBMS and RDBMS shortcomings and errors

I hope you're well. I'm now immersed in the intriguing world of Database Management Systems (DBMS) and Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS), but I've found a few roadblocks along the way. I'm contacting you to ask your assistance in overcoming these challenges.

Here's a sample of the SQL code I've been working with:

Code:
    -- Creating a table in an RDBMS
    CREATE TABLE Employee
        EmployeeID INT PRIMARY KEY,
        FirstName VARCHAR(50),
        LastName VARCHAR(50),
        Department VARCHAR(50);
    In this SQL code sample, I've highlighted four issues that I'm working on:

1.The CREATE TABLE statement looks to have a syntax issue. Can you help me find and rectify the syntax mistake that prevented me from correctly creating the "Employee" table?
    2.While attempting to specify the primary key for the "Employee" table, I received an error message stating "missing '(' after 'PRIMARY'". How can I fix this problem and correctly declare the main key?
    3.The data types for the columns "FirstName," "LastName," and "Department" are provided, but I am not sure whether they are suitable. Could you please advise on picking acceptable data types for these columns?
    4.I added semicolons at the end of each line, but I'm not sure if this is essential or if it would cause problems. As shown in that publication. Should semicolons be used in this situation, and if not, what is the proper approach?

Your advice and knowledge would be highly appreciated as I navigate these obstacles. Thank you for your time and support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: DBMS and RDBMS shortcomings and errors

There are different flavors of SQL, so you'll need to start by picking a specific SQL Server.
    Most SQL requires a commit; statement to actually do anything, unless you enable autocommit, which is a bad practice, especially for a DBA.

I see the issue. It seems you think the indentation matters and it is hiding some missing ().

This might help: https://iask.ai/?mode=question&options[detail_level]=detailed&q=What%27s+wrong+with+this+SQL%3F+CREATE +TABLE+Employee%0A++++EmployeeID+INT+PRIMARY+KEY%2 C%0A++++FirstName+VARCHAR%2850%29%2C%0A++++LastNam e+VARCHAR%2850%29%2C%0A++++Department+VARCHAR%2850 %29%3B

And you'll have another method to find mistakes without waiting.
    Last edited by TheFu; January 29th, 2024 at 03:41 PM.

Beans

I use PostgreSQL. The CREATE TABLE command requires parentheses like this
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE tablename (col1 type1, col2 type2, etc.);
    SQL is pretty picky about syntax. PG will bring up a documentation page if you type:
    Code:
    \h create table
    returns
    Code:
    Command:     CREATE TABLE
    Description: define a new table
    Syntax:
    CREATE [ [ GLOBAL | LOCAL ] { TEMPORARY | TEMP } | UNLOGGED ] TABLE [ IF NOT EXISTS ] table_name ( [
      { column_name data_type [ COMPRESSION compression_method ] [ COLLATE collation ] [ column_constraint [ ... ] ]
        | table_constraint
        | LIKE source_table [ like_option ... ] }
        [, ... ]
    ] )
    etc.
    I don't use MySQL unless I have to, but I think the commands for documentation are different there.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; January 29th, 2024 at 03:35 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you so much for help you both