Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Beans

Re: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Quote Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
    Seems, just updating to the latest version of plymouth fixes things.
    right. i got the fix with an update two days ago.

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sounds good.
    At the end there is a solution, so, Im not having this problem on Maverick fresh install for a long time now. And I updated also my plymouth.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
    You shouldn't have to do anything. From that link this is what it said:

Seems, just updating to the latest version of plymouth fixes things.
    Cool, mate, thank you. Have not received this error for a while now. I am cautiously positive.

Beans

Yep. I'm glad they FINALLY fixed it. I mean I know it wasn't a huge issue for most folks, but it certainly has been a headache for some for a while now. So far so good for me. Though, I hadn't noticed it since installing Maverick, not just in the past few days, when the 'fix' to 'plymouth' was updated.

Beans

I am a long time Debian user finally getting around to installing Linux for something other than a server. I decided to check out Ubuntu since it has been getting a lot of buzz. First impressions are everything and I was looking forward to see what all of the buzz over the Ubuntu gui is about. After spending a couple hours downloading the iso, I was finally ready to boot my fresh copy of the installation cd.

I popped the cd in with excitement. After hanging on a splash screen with red/white dots for several minutes I received the error mentioned in this thread. My eyes rolled thinking back to experiences with older versions of getting things to work in linux as I started Googling out the solution.

Turns out there is no solution. This error message is simply masking the actual error message which means the problem could be any major piece of hardware: dvd-rom, mainboard, video card, sound card, etc. Maybe it could even be a bad cd burn.

The most ironic part of this thread is the fact that it was created months ago. The "please be patient" posts are quite comical as if people have months to wait around for a solution.

This kind of flaky crap is THE REASON I use Debian because Debian is stable. Once again the rule of thumb holds true... if it ain't in Debian, it ain't working right yet.

Time to put the Debian 5 cd in...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

It is not clear whether you are asking for advice or just complaining. If advice is the matter:

The problem is that the regular ISO still has the error, though a bug fix is available.

You could install a minimal Ubuntu from this ISO
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

After that you boot the machine and install the full system with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    and finally

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    having wired internet access throughout the process.

This way your system will be free from this bug from the beginning.

The method also works for other Buntus, for example you could run

Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    for installing Lubuntu.

Edit 2011-2-21:
    10.04.2 is out now, which solves the problem for the 10.04 family:
    http://www.releases.ubuntu.com/

If you encounter the problem while installing 10.10, the method mentioned here is the way to go.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 10th, 2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: 10.04.2 added
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    It is not clear whether you are asking for advice or just complaining. If advice is the matter:

The problem is that the regular ISO still has the error, though a bug fix is available.

You could install a minimal Ubuntu from this ISO
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

After that you boot the machine and install the full system with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    and finally

Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    having wired internet access throughout the process.

This way your system will be free from this bug from the beginning.
    I was complaining. Since I last posted I can state with 100% certainty the problem I experienced is related to a dvd-rom. I was converting an existing older server running Debian into a desktop. I downloaded Ubuntu yesterday and the Ubuntu iso for whatever reason would not boot.

The press alt then ctrl suggestion mentioned earlier in this thread did not work. What did work was opening up the case and replacing the dvd-rom with a different dvd-rom.

Because I wanted to eliminate the possibility of a failing dvd-rom I wasn't aware of, I put the original dvd-rom back in the case and popped in a Debian 5 iso which installed just fine. The dvd-rom in question also booted an Ultimate Boot CD iso. Maybe there is some freak error going on with the dvd-rom in question where it decides to stop working with an Ubuntu iso in it.

Using a different dvd-rom I was able to install Ubuntu without further incident. I did not have an ethernet cable plugged in during install and the update after a standard install is ~182mb... brutal. Since I primarily use shell I can't comment on differences between a vanilla gnome gui and Ubuntu. I will have to read up on the gui differences.

After installation the error is still present as other people have commented but it is an annoyance that does not affect anything. During installation it was a show stopper which was the source of the complaint. It's aggravating opening up a case to replace a working dvd-rom just to satisfy the Ubuntu installation iso.

Beans

Well it's good to know this is being taken care of . The community is awesome !!!!

I just wonder how they will handle the 50 disks I just bought last week for resale/ distribution lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am glad you all solved this problem. However, I have an older windows machine that quit on me and I tried to boot with an Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD. I did it before and had NO problems. Now I am getting this error message. So, is it software or hardware related? I think it's hardware related because I can't repair/ reinstall Windows and it won't let me boot Ubuntu with a Live CD. I get to the splash screen and then it craps out. Now what? Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [SOLVED] Re: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Quote Originally Posted by peertje888 View Post
    Just a moment ago I experienced this on my friend's pc; I tried to boot the system with a usb pen with 10.04 desktop.

When I edited the boot command line (hitting e in the boot screen) and disabled quiet and splash option it ended up nagging about a fd0 while there is no Floppy drive in the system... Disabling this in the BIOS was the solution!
    FWIW,

There are at least 3 separate problems being described in this thread.

1. Those with a fresh install - this is a blocking issue
    2. Those with an existing install - just the error, not a blocking issue
    3. Those with an existing install - this is a blocking issue.

The solution from peertje888 solves the first one. Which as the problem I was having on a fresh Ubuntu 10.10 install.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast