Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9.04 Jaunty Network Manager Applet default keyring locked problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

9.04 Jaunty Network Manager Applet default keyring locked problem

For anyone who had the same problem as me:

In 9.04 UNR I had an account autologin but would then be prompted for a password with the following message:

The application 'NetworkManager Applet' (/usr/bin/nm-applet) wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked.
    There are all kinds of fixes on the forums for previous iterations of ubuntu and GNOME but none of them worked for me until I came across a message that advised me as follows:
    I have an administrator user (me) and a non-administrator user (my kid).
    I went to administration-Login window and set my kid's account to auto-login.

Then I right clicked the wireless applet, went to 'edit connections', the wireless tab, and checked the "available to all users" for our wireless connection. Rebooted and it logged in his account and wireless was already connected. No password prompts.
    Here is the link to the page containing the advice:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/137247

Beans
    Distro

Re: 9.04 Jaunty Network Manager Applet default keyring locked problem

i guess i have to reply to mark it as solved...

Beans

I have been trying to fix this problem on my system for over a year! I can't believe it's this simple to accomplish. Now I can stop tearing my hair out.

Thanks for posting this!

Beans
    Distro

Cheers! I've been working on this the better part of a month, and I am surprised it was so easy. Other forums mentioned editing passwords in the Keyring Manager, et cetera, to no avail.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tentwelveeight View Post

Here is the link to the page containing the advice:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager-applet/+bug/137247
    I just upgraded to Jaunty and this is the first time I have this problem. However, the link with the fix help to fixed the problem right away.
    Regards,
    neogeek
    Registered Linux User #407140

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

i have a single user(admin)..and put it on auto-login...and now nm-applet says wired network device unmanaged....evry time i hav to manually bring eth0 up by
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    i disable auto-login..but now the problem stil persists!!
    I had not used any keyrings and stuff..i went to the given link...but didnt find ne solutions!! pls help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jaithehulk View Post
    i have a single user(admin)..and put it on auto-login...and now nm-applet says wired network device unmanaged....evry time i hav to manually bring eth0 up by
    sudo ifconfig eth0 up
    i disable auto-login..but now the problem stil persists!!
    I had not used any keyrings and stuff..i went to the given link...but didnt find ne solutions!! pls help.
    Hmmm, it sounds like a problem with your hardware or something. Perhaps you corrupted your etc/network/interfaces file somehow? In any case you may be able to fix it by installing the old GNOME network manager. You can see how to do it here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976198

here's the code:
    sudo aptitude install gnome-network-admin
    Then you should see the old network manager under applications->system->network or maybe somewhere else in your applications menu depending on your window manager and/or version. Good luck! -joe

Beans

Smile Re: 9.04 Jaunty Network Manager Applet default keyring locked problem

It worked for me too ! thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tentwelveeight View Post
    Hmmm, it sounds like a problem with your hardware or something. Perhaps you corrupted your etc/network/interfaces file somehow? In any case you may be able to fix it by installing the old GNOME network manager. You can see how to do it here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976198

here's the code:

Then you should see the old network manager under applications->system->network or maybe somewhere else in your applications menu depending on your window manager and/or version. Good luck! -joe
    slightly different take on this long standing problem - a while ago, i forgot my password and reset it. and have been bugged with the default keyring problem ever since - as i still can't remember the old password - i just cancel the message a couple of times and then enter the WPA network key.

however some apps like tweetdeck running in adobe air don't allow me to cancel the keyring password request and so don't work at all

Have now upgraded to jaunty and am trying to iron out this problem

all the above is insightful but doesn't seem to work for me - any suggestions ? (i am a basic ubuntu user with a dual booting machine, happy to follow step by step insturctions but not to improvise)

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I haven't got any further steps for you. I assume you've tried disabling autologin and all that? What if you create a new user, does it still come up? You tried the fix that worked for me right (ticking the box to allow all users access to the network)?

If you've tried all of the above I can only suggest you submit an email request for help on one of the lists or maybe on an IRC channel. Below is the URL for all the lists, the people there can be very helpful and are often very quick to reply. Good luck! -joe

https://lists.ubuntu.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast